March 31st 2023
That Cookie Dough.
The Cereal Raid.
The All In, Ball In.
Deep Fried – Sugar Cookie – Spiced Apple – Ice Cream.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Chill Time: 8 hours [4 hours in refrigerator / 4 hours in freezer]
Cook [Deep Fry] Time: 20 seconds per serving
Sugar Cookie / Spiced Apple Ice Cream
1 roll refrigerated “ready to eat” / “safe to eat” [pasteurized] sugar cookie dough
1 package all-vegetable shortening
1 container vanilla ice cream, softened slightly
1 can apple pie filling, slices coarsely chopped
[Softened cream cheese, filling, optional]
Deep Fry Batter
2 cups cornflakes, frosted variety, crumbed
2 cups cereal, honeycomb-shaped variety, crumbed
2 cups graham cracker crumbs, honey variety
½ cup milk, lukewarm
2 quarts of oil for frying
Powdered sugar [optional, garnish]
*To soften the ice cream, remove it from the freezer and place it in the refrigerator for 15 minutes before use.
*Cereal may be crumbed by using a rolling pin and a zip closure-style plastic bag.
- Lightly grease the bottom of a cookie sheet using the all-vegetable shortening.
- Divide the roll of sugar cookie dough into 16 pieces using a sharp knife.
- Roll / shape the dough into balls.
- Place the balls onto the cookie sheet.
- Using the back of a fork, press [flatten] each ball to a depth of ¼” – ½”.
- Place cookie sheet into the fridge for 4 hours.
- Remove cookie sheet from the fridge.
- Drop a teaspoon of apple pie filling mixture onto each piece of flattened cookie dough and spread to the edges. Add a dollop of ice cream into the center. [Optional: Add a teaspoon of softened cream cheese to the center of the filling mixture]. Fold up the edges of the cookie dough. Pinch the edges of the dough together to form a ball and seal in the apples and the ice cream.
- Place cookie sheet in the freezer for 4 hours.
- Combine [crumbed] cereal and graham crackers in a shallow dish. Add in eggs and milk.
- Remove cookie sheet from freezer.
- Roll each ball in the crumb / egg / milk mixture until coated.
- Heat oil to 350 – 375F in large saucepan or deep fryer.
- Using a basket or slotted spoon, deep fry [one at a time] each cookie dough ball for 20 seconds, or until hot / golden brown.
- Drain excess. Transfer to a plate lined with a paper towel.
- Dust / garnish with powdered sugar [optional].
- Serve and enjoy!